GPL hosted its annual Children’s Sector Parliament today at Mbolekwa Sports Complex in Atteridgeville in the City of Tshwane.
Themed: ‘Making your future work better. Learning from Madiba’, this Sector Parliament aims to empower children to participate in legislative processes, as well as encourage ‘born-frees’ to debate issues facing them as well as recommend solutions to government.
The following topics were discussed:
- Learner-on-Learner violence in schools
- Teenage pregnancies and effect on schools
- Investing in children to grow South Africa’s economy and to enable them to participate in World Skills Competitions (Introduction of scarce Skills courses from Primary school level- Is South Africa doing enough?
- The importance of balancing programmes aimed at both boys and girls (the tragic repercussions of neglecting a boy child)
- Learner participation in politics and voting.