The Gauteng Provincial Legislature will be engaging with elderly persons from across the province during its Senior Citizens Sector Parliament, to be held tomorrow in the West Rand. The annual sector parliament is aimed at soliciting service delivery challenges experienced by the elderly in Gauteng; with the intend to resolve them through the various government provincial departments and local municipalities.
Senior citizens will be afforded a platform to directly address their elected public representatives on challenges they experience; as well as be empowered on government resources available for the socioeconomic empowerment of the elderly. The engagement will be centred around these topics: Municipal demarcation changes: Impact on older persons’access to service delivery and participation in democratic processes; Police response time: Effects on elderly persons’ access to safety; Emergency Medical Services’ response time and Will the National Health Insurance improve access to adequate and quality health for older persons?; and Prioritizing housing allocations for elderly persons: Evaluating the provincial housing policies.
The Senior Citizens Sector Parliament is scheduled to convene as follows:
Venue: Chief Mogale Community Hall, Kagiso
Date: Friday, 11th October 2019
Time: 10h00 am
GPL is anticipating participation from:
- Members of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature (MPLs)
- Gauteng Provincial Executive (MEC’s of Health, Social Development, Economic Development, Environment, Agriculture & Rural development and Community Safety)
- Speaker of the Westrand District Municipality
- Provincial Older Persons Forum
- South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC)
- Veterans’ leagues from political parties
- Business and Professional older persons.
Members of the media are invited.
For more information or interview queries, please contact:
Mr Thebe Khumalo on 072 266 1021 / TKhumalo@gpl.gov.za
Ms Pfano Bulasigobo on 060 533 1982 / PBulasigobo@gpl.gov.za